'WORLDWALKER' spoiler free series review - Josephine Angelini

Thanks to Pan Macmillan for sending me all three books in the series to read and review. The trilogy consists of Trial by Fire, Firewalker, and Witch's Pyre and I can say that I enjoyed all three books. I'm going to split this review up into three parts and I'll talk about each book separately. All reviews will be spoiler free.

TRIAL BY FIRE
"This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.
Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.
What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected.
 " - Goodreads

I would have to say that this book was my favourite out of all three and I just felt the most intrigues in this story line. I loved getting to know the characters in both worlds; Lily and Lilliana, Tristian and Rowan and loved seeing how different they all are from each other. I read The Crucible play in high school, and this prior knowledge of Salem definitely helped me understand the witch world better. I haven't read many fantasy books about witch's before and so this was a new experience for me, and one that I really enjoyed.

FIREWALKER
'Lily Proctor has made it back to her own universe, and it's finally time for her and Rowan to be happy and relax. True, she almost died in the Pyre that fueled their escape, and they must hide her new magic for the safety of the world, but compared to fighting the monstrous Woven and leading armies in the alternate Salem, life is looking good.
'You think I'm a monster, but my choices, as ruthless as they seem, are justified.'
Unfortunately, Lillian, ruthless ruler of the 13 Cities, is not willing to let Lily go that easily. Lily is the closest version of herself she's ever seen in all her worldwalking, and Lillian's running out of time. If she can't persuade Lily and Rowan to return to her world, she'll have to find a way to make them come back.' - Goodreads

Although I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one, I still really enjoyed it and thought that it was a great follow up. In the last book, we explored the other universe, and in Firewalker we learnt more about Lily's original universe (the normal world). I also liked how we learnt more about the characters, especially the original Tristian who would have to be my favourite character. The ending was emotional and tragic in this one, and left me wanting to pick the next one up straight away.

WITCH'S PYRE
'Lily Proctor has come a long way from the weak, sickly girl she used to be. She has gained power as a witch and a leader, found her way home, chosen to face battle again, and (after losing her first love and being betrayed by her new love) she has learned more about loss and grief than she ever wanted to know.
Thrust once again into a society different from anything they have ever seen, Lily and her coven are determined to find answers―to find a new path to victory, a way to defeat the monstrous Woven without resorting to nuclear weapons or becoming a tyrannical mass murderer like her alternate self, Lillian. But sometimes winning requires sacrifices . . . and when the only clear path to victory lies at Lillian's side, what price will Lily be willing to pay?' - Goodreads

The final book to this amazing, action filled and dramatic series. One of my favourite aspects of this series is the amount of character growth and development that each of the characters went through. Lily especially, who started off as a regular teenager who suffered from seizures for no apparent reason, to one of the most powerful witches after discovering this alternate universe. Such a great ending to a great series.


SUMMARY:
Overall, I really enjoyed this series and loved getting into the universe and discovering more about Salem and witches. I decided to give this trilogy 4 stars out of 5. If you like fantasy books, or want to read more about witches, I highly recommend picking this series up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.